The research conducted at the School aims at a high international level in the selected focus areas. This objective is evident in the extensive number of refereed scientific publications and conference presentations, as well as in the amount of competed external funding.
The focus areas of research and teaching carried out at the School are
- process technology
- industrial biotechnology
- biomaterials science
- advanced metals and minerals recovery processes
- active and functional materials
In our research, we focus on the development of environmentally-friendly and energy-efficient processes for the refining of wood, other bio-masses, and inorganic raw materials. Additionally, we develop new materials and their applications based on these raw materials.
Central areas of research include
- the shaping of micro-organisms and enzymes,
- different kinds of biomaterials,
- new energy materials,
- the manufacturing processes of bio-components for transport fuels, and
- materials for the electronics industry.
Research groups in the Departments
- Aalto Doctoral Programme in Chemical Technology (into.aalto.fi)